1233 – Snaith

Within a few miles of roaring motorways, yet remaining a traditional East Yorkshire market town, the name of Snaith has been on the map since the time of the Domesday Book and doubtless even longer.

Nestling on the banks of the River Aire, a tributary of the mighty Humber, Snaith is presided over by the impressive Norman Church of St. Lawrence and details of the town’s past are continually being discovered and researched.

Though the butter market has long since disappeared, the adjoining town lock-ups still remain and present a permanent reminder to the richness of the local history.

Part of Snaith’s heritage revolves around the art of brewing. Research by the Snaith Historical Society has revealed the existence of brewers and maltsters within the town up to the last century but although there were larger commercial breweries in neighbouring towns and villages earlier in the 20th Century, it wasn’t until 1983 that the craft at last returned to Snaith with the establishment of the Old Mill Brewery.

Shopping Cart